Sodium Hydroxide 10% w/w
Need Something Else?
- More Information
- Shipping Statements
Why Should You Buy Sodium Hydroxide 10% w/w From ReAgent?
- We supply sodium hydroxide 10% w/w in 5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- MSDS also available to download from our website
- We also offer further options with all our products, from specific pack sizes to customised packaging
Is Sodium Hydroxide Used For Medical or Veterinary Applications?
Due to its strong alkaline properties, the applications of sodium hydroxide in the medical and veterinary field are limited. Nevertheless, a 2% solution of this compound can be used to disinfect and clean small cuts in animals, to prevent many common pathogens, including fowl cholera and pullorum disease. In humans, this compound can be used to remove diseased tissue and eliminate small warts.
How Is Sodium Hydroxide Made?
Sodium hydroxide can be obtained via different reactions, including:
- Electrolysis from sodium chloride: this is the method currently used industrially, generating sodium hydroxide (in solution), chlorine (gas) and hydrogen (gas) according to the mass ratios 1:0.8:0.025. Once the gases are removed, the concentration of sodium hydroxide is improved by evaporation
- The reaction between calcium oxide and sodium carbonate: in this case, a hot 12% solution of sodium carbonate is added to the calcium oxide, generating calcium carbonate which precipitates out of solution and is gradually removed, leaving a sodium hydroxide solution, which can be further evaporated
- The reaction between sodium metal and water at low temperature: not viable industrially, but a common procedure in schools to show students calcium’s reactivity
- Ferrite recovery: this is used mainly in small paper pulp plants, where waste liquor liquid (with sodium salt) is evaporated and the residue mixed with iron oxide and subsequently calcinated. As a result, the resultant sodium ferrite is converted to sodium hydroxide
How Is Sodium Hydroxide Sold?
Commonly, sodium hydroxide is sold as pellets, flakes, granules or powder. Commercial solutions of various concentrations can also be found. Typically, impurities in these products include sodium chlorate, sodium sulphate, sodium carbonate and sodium chloride.
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly customer service and a member of staff is always at hand to assist you with your queries or orders. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|0368||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|0368||H290||May be corrosive to metals.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|0368||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|0368||P303+P361+P353||IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/ shower.|
|0368||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|0368||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|0368||P310||Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|0368||P406||Store in corrosive resistant container with a resistant inner liner.|
|368||ADR/RID Shipping Name||SODIUM HYDROXIDE SOLUTION|
|368||ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|368||ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|