Sodium Hydroxide 0.1M (0.1N)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for Sodium Hydroxide 0.1M?
• We supply sodium hydroxide 0.1M in 2.5L and 5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
• We also offer many other sodium hydroxide products, with varying concentrations and applications
• In addition, all our products come with multiple options, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes
What is Sodium Hydroxide?
With the formula NaOH, sodium hydroxide is an inorganic compound with strong alkaline properties. It can be sold in pre-prepared solutions, as well as in dry forms, including powder, pellets or flakes. This compound is used in many different applications, including industrial uses in the paper and textile industries, as well as soaps and personal hygiene products.
How is Sodium Hydroxide Produced?
Over the years there have been different methods to synthesise sodium hydroxide, including the reaction between sodium carbonate and calcium hydroxide, or the Solvay reaction. However, all these methods have been shown to have low efficiency, and nowadays the most popular method to produce this compound is via the chloralkali process. Once the reaction is completed, sodium hydroxide can be removed from the solution after evaporation of the water.
What is Sodium Hydroxide Used For?
Popular uses include:
- Chemical pulping in the paper industry
- Also in the paper industry, sodium hydroxide is a key ingredient in the white liquor solution to separate cellulose from lignin
- Finally, this compound is also used in the final stages in paper manufacture during the processes of bleaching wood pulp
- Manufacture of soaps and detergents
- Organic synthesis
- Used in the manufacture of aluminium (Bayer process)
- Various uses involving pH regulation and acid neutralisation
- Used in the petroleum industry (additive in drilling solutions)
- Used to neutralise toxic gases, including carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide
- Remove impurities from poor quality crude oil
- Converting a polished surface to a satin-like finish
- Esterification and trans-esterification reactions, used mainly to produce soap and biodiesel
- This compound has multiple uses in the food industry, from washing fruits and vegetables, to thickening agent in ice-cream and chocolate. It can also be used to make some food products softer, like olives, or crispier, like biscuits and pretzels
- Used as an industrial cleaning agent, mainly used to clean large equipment and storage tanks. In this case, it’s ideal to dissolve grease and protein.
- Used as a paint stripper (although this can damage the wood surface)
- Professional hair straighteners
100% Quality Guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. If you need help, a member of staff is always at hand to assist you before, during and after your purchase. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice about all our products.
|Sodium Hydroxide||0.0998- 0.1002||M|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1098||H290||May be corrosive to metals.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1098||P234||Keep only in original container.|
|1098||P390||Absorb spillage to prevent material damage.|
|1.098||ADR/RID Shipping Name||SODIUM HYDROXIDE SOLUTION|
|1.098||ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|1.098||ADR/RID Packing Group||III|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3701||Sodium Hydroxide 0.1M (0.1N)||publish||1098||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1098 - SDS10712.pdf|