Nitric Acid 69% (General Use)
Need Something Else?
- More Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for Nitric Acid for General Use?
- We supply nitric acid for general use in 2.5L and 25L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- We also offer a wide range of options with all our products, including custom packaging and different grades
- Simply contact us for further information
Types of Reactions Involving Nitric Acid
Nitric acid can be involved in several types of reactions:
- Acid-base reaction: As a strong acid, nitric acid reacts easily in the presence of a base. The dissociation constant is usually considered to be less than -1, which means this compound completely dissociates in water except if in the presence of a stronger acid, such as sulphuric acid for example. Since it can have both acidic and basic properties, nitric acid can also undergo autoprotolysis, generating NO2 and NO3– in aqueous solutions.
- Reactions with metals: Nitric acid can react with most metals, but the overall result depends on the concentration and nature of the metal. Typically, nitric acid behaves as an acid and releases H2, forming the corresponding nitrate salt. Some precious metals, including platinum and gold, do not react with nitric acid, but less noble metals (such as silver and copper) can be oxidised by it. As a result, this compound is commonly used in jewellery to spot low-quality gold with many impurities.
- Reactions with non-metals: As a strong oxidising agent, nitric acid can react rather violently with non-metals. In fact, nitration reactions involving organic compounds are the most common method to manufacture many types of explosives, including TNT and nitro-glycerine. This can be a complex method, as some of the by-products of the reactions can be highly unstable and have to be removed very carefully.
Over 40 Years’ Experience
We started ReAgent over 40 years ago, and during this time as a chemical manufacturer, we’ve built an enviable reputation for high-quality products and excellent customer service. We offer a wide range of products, from pharmaceutical chemicals to bespoke solutions, to mention just a few.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1211||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|1211||H290||May be corrosive to metals.|
|1211||H272||May intensify fire; oxidiser.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1211||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|1211||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1211||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1211||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1211||P310||Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|1211||P220||Keep away from combustible materials.|
|1.211||ADR/RID Shipping Name||NITRIC ACID|
|1.211||ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|1.211||ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3557||Nitric Acid 69% (General Use)||publish||1211||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1211 - SDS10798.pdf|