Nitric Acid (General Use)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for Nitric Acid for General Use?
- We supply nitric acid for general use in 2.5L and 45L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- We also offer a wide range of options with all our products, including custom packaging and different grades
- Simply contact us for further information
Types of reactions involving nitric acid
Nitric acid can be involved in several types of reactions:
- Acid-base reaction: As a strong acid, nitric acid reacts easily in the presence of a base. The dissociation constant is usually considered to be less than -1, which means this compound completely dissociates in water except if in the presence of a stronger acid, such as sulphuric acid for example. Since it can have both acidic and basic properties, nitric acid can also undergo autoprotolysis, generating NO2 and NO3– in aqueous solutions.
- Reactions with metals: Nitric acid can react with most metals, but the overall result depends on the concentration and nature of the metal. Typically, nitric acid behaves as an acid and releases H2, forming the corresponding nitrate salt. Some precious metals, including platinum and gold, do not react with nitric acid, but less noble metals (such as silver and copper) can be oxidised by it. As a result, this compound is commonly used in jewellery to spot low quality gold with many impurities.
- Reactions with non-metals: As a strong oxidising agent, nitric acid can react rather violently with non-metals. In fact, nitration reactions involving organic compounds are the most common method to manufacture many types of explosives, including TNT and nitro-glycerine. This can be a complex method, as some of the by-products of the reactions can be highly unstable and have to be removed very carefully.
Over 30 years’ experience
We started ReAgent over 30 years ago, and during this time as a chemical manufacturer, we’ve built an enviable reputation for high quality products and excellent customer service. We offer a wide range of products, from pharmaceutical chemicals to bespoke solutions, to mention just a few.
|500||1||1.211||Specific Gravity||1.42||25/04/2018||Steve Toye||19/01/2017||0||24/04/2018|
|502||3||1.211||Assay||68||72||0||68 - 72||%||25/04/2018||Steve Toye||19/01/2017||0||24/04/2018|
|503||4||1.211||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||25/04/2018||Barbara||30/06/2004||0||24/04/2018|
|509||10||1.211||Non Volatile Matter||0||0||0||<0.01||%||25/04/2018||Steve Toye||10/10/2016||0||24/04/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3557||Nitric Acid (General Use)||publish||1211||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1211 - SDS10798.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.