Isopropyl Alcohol (Laboratory Use)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
UK Suppliers of Isopropyl Alcohol for Laboratory Use
ReAgent is a dedicated supplier of isopropyl alcohol for laboratory use. Choose from 2.5L and 25L containers, as well as 1,000L IBCs. Some options come with discounts for bulk orders – simply contact us for details on placing larger orders.
This product is sold with a minimum 99% purity and levels of impurities not exceeding 0.002% acetic acid, 0.01% aldehydes and ketones and 0.002% non-volatile matter.
Isopropyl Alcohol Uses in the Lab
This compound is very versatile and used in a wide range of laboratory applications:
- As a cleaning fluid to wipe and clean work surfaces. Isopropyl alcohol is relatively non-toxic, evaporates quickly and leaves virtually no oil traces.
- As a solvent for many non-polar compounds, making it a preferred choice for dissolving oils.
- As an intermediate in a multitude of reactions, including esterification to generate isopropyl acetate; with sodium hydroxide and carbon disulphide to generate sodium isopropylxanthate and with titanium tetrachloride and aluminium to generate aluminium and titanium isopropoxides.
- As a disinfectant agent, typically as a 60-70% solution in water. Water causes the bacteria to open up their pores, allowing isopropyl alcohol to enter the cell and disrupt metabolism. It can also be used as a hand sanitizer.
- As a popular preservative among biologists, who prefer this compound for its lower toxicity compared to formaldehyde and other types. Commonly, a 70-99% solution is used to preserve organic tissues.
- For DNA extraction analysis. Isopropyl alcohol is added to a solution containing DNA with the purpose to precipitate it into a pellet after centrifugation. This works because DNA is insoluble in isopropyl alcohol.
Over 30 Years’ Experience
With over 30 years’ experience in the field of chemical manufacture, Regent has built an enviable reputation for providing high quality products and excellent customer service. If you need any assistance, a member of staff will be happy to help before, during or after your purchase.
|719||1||1213S||(CH₃)₂CHOH||0||0||0||M.W. 60.10||15/02/2019||Steve Toye||06/10/2017||0||14/02/2019|
|721||3||1213S||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||15/02/2019||Steve Toye||06/10/2017||0||14/02/2019|
|722||4||1213S||Acidity (Acetic Acid)||0||0||0||<0.002||%||15/02/2019||Steve Toye||06/10/2017||0||14/02/2019|
|724||5||1213S||Non Volatile Matter||0||1||0||<1||mg/100ml||15/02/2019||Steve Toye||06/10/2017||0||14/02/2019|
|723||6||1213S||Colour (Pt/Co)||0||10||<10||Pt/Co||15/02/2019||Steve Toye||06/10/2017||0||14/02/2019|
|725||7||1213S||Weight per ml at 20°C||0||0||0||0.784 - 0.786||g||15/02/2019||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||14/02/2019|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1213||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|1213||H225||Highly flammable liquid and vapour.|
|1213||H336||May cause drowsiness or dizziness.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1213||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1213||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1213||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1213||P313||Get medical advice/ attention.|
|1213||P210||Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||ISOPROPANOL (ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL)|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||3|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3605||Isopropyl Alcohol (Laboratory Use)||publish||1213||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1213 - SDS21051.pdf|