Tin Chloride (SnCl2)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for tin chloride?
- We supply tin chloride (SnCl2) in 5kg containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a 97.5% purity, and impurity levels not exceeding 0.005% iron and 0.005% lead
- We also offer further options with all our products, including customised packaging and specific pack sizes
What is tin chloride?
With the formula SnCl2, tin(II) chloride – also called stannous chloride – forms a white crystalline solid. It’s stable as a dihydrate form, but it can undergo hydrolysis when in solution. This compound is typically used in electrolysis reactions in tin plating as a reducing agent. It’s important to note that this compound is different from stannic chloride (tin(IV) chloride), which has the formula SnCl4.
What is tin chloride used for?
- Tin cans: The most important industrial use is in tin plating of steel in the manufacture of tin cans. In this case, a solution of tin chloride mixed with diluted hydrochloric acid is used. As the electric potential is applied, the tin metal is formed as the cathode via an electrolysis reaction.
- Textile industry: Tin chloride is also used in the textile industry as a mordant, allowing brighter colours to be used.
- Plastic manufacture: This compound is also used in the manufacture of polylactic acid plastic.
- Production of acetone peroxide: It’s used as a catalyst in the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and acetone to produce acetone peroxide
- Reducing agent: In a similar reaction as used for the manufacture of tin cans, tin chloride can be used as a reducing agent in several other reactions including silvering mirrors.
- Organic chemistry: Tin chloride is used in the Stephen reduction reaction, in which a nitrile is converted to an imine and subsequently hydrolysed to aldehyde.
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly customer service. If you need help, a member of staff will be glad to help you before, during and after your purchase. Simply contact us for free technical advice.
|862||3||1829S||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||20/07/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||20/07/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1829||H302||Harmful if swallowed.|
|1829||H335||May cause respiratory irritation.|
|1829||H315||Causes skin irritation.|
|1829||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|1829||H317||May cause an allergic skin reaction.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1829||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1829||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1829||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1829||P302+P352||IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water.|
|1829||P304+P340||IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing.|
|1829||P309+P311||IF exposed or if you feel unwell: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||CORROSIVE SOLID, ACIDIC, INORGANIC, N.O.S. (TIN II CHLORIDE)|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||III|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|