Tin Chloride (SnCl2)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for Stannous Chloride?
ReAgent has been a leading UK chemical supplier for over 40 years. With accreditation to a number of ISO Standards, as well as a 100% quality guarantee on every product, we have the knowledge and experience to handle all of your business needs.
You can buy stannous chloride (SnCl2) from our online chemical shop in 5kg containers. This product is sold with 97.5% purity and impurity levels not exceeding 0.005% iron and 0.005% lead. Order iodine online today where you can get nationwide next-day delivery and discounts on bulk orders.
We also have extra, industry-leading services available on all products, including personalised labelling, customisable packaging and the choice of specific pack sizes. Simply contact us for further information.
What is Tin Chloride?
Also known as stannous chloride, tin (II) chloride is a white crystalline solid and has the chemical formula SnCl2. It’s stable as a dihydrate form but can undergo hydrolysis when in solution.
This compound is typically used as a reducing agent in electrolysis reactions for tin plating. It’s important to note that this compound is different from stannic chloride (tin(IV) chloride), which has the formula SnCl4.
What is Tin (II) Chloride Used For?
- Tin Cans: The most important industrial use for this compound is in the manufacture of tin cans, specifically the tin plating of steel.
- Textile Industry: Tin chloride is used in the textile industry as a mordant, allowing brighter colours to be used.
- Plastic Manufacture: This compound is also used in the manufacture of polylactic acid plastic.
- Production of Acetone Peroxide: This compound is used as a catalyst in the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and acetone to produce acetone peroxide
- Reducing Agent: In a similar reaction as used for the manufacture of tin cans, stannous chloride can be used as a reducing agent in several other reactions, including silvering mirrors.
- Organic Chemistry: Stannous chloride is used in the Stephen reduction reaction, in which a nitrile is converted to an imine and subsequently hydrolysed to an aldehyde.
At ReAgent, we strive to offer all our customers a friendly service. Our products, including tin (II) chloride, are backed by a 100% quality guarantee so that you can relax and buy with confidence.
Place your order online today, or contact our technical sales team for more information. We’ll be happy to help you before, during and even after your purchase.
|862||3||1829S||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||24/09/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||24/09/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1829||H302||Harmful if swallowed.|
|1829||H335||May cause respiratory irritation.|
|1829||H315||Causes skin irritation.|
|1829||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|1829||H317||May cause an allergic skin reaction.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1829||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1829||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1829||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1829||P302+P352||IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water.|
|1829||P304+P340||IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep comfortable for breathing.|
|1829||P309+P311||IF exposed or if you feel unwell: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||CORROSIVE SOLID, ACIDIC, INORGANIC, N.O.S. (TIN II CHLORIDE)|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||III|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|