Tin Chloride (SnCl2)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for tin chloride?
- We supply tin chloride (SnCl2) in 5kg containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a 97.5% purity, and impurity levels not exceeding 0.005% iron and 0.005% lead
- We also offer further options with all our products, including customised packaging and specific pack sizes
What is tin chloride?
With the formula SnCl2, tin(II) chloride – also called stannous chloride – forms a white crystalline solid. It’s stable as a dihydrate form, but it can undergo hydrolysis when in solution. This compound is typically used in electrolysis reactions in tin plating as a reducing agent. It’s important to note that this compound is different from stannic chloride (tin(IV) chloride), which has the formula SnCl4.
What is tin chloride used for?
- Tin cans: The most important industrial use is in tin plating of steel in the manufacture of tin cans. In this case, a solution of tin chloride mixed with diluted hydrochloric acid is used. As the electric potential is applied, the tin metal is formed as the cathode via an electrolysis reaction.
- Textile industry: Tin chloride is also used in the textile industry as a mordant, allowing brighter colours to be used.
- Plastic manufacture: This compound is also used in the manufacture of polylactic acid plastic.
- Production of acetone peroxide: It’s used as a catalyst in the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and acetone to produce acetone peroxide
- Reducing agent: In a similar reaction as used for the manufacture of tin cans, tin chloride can be used as a reducing agent in several other reactions including silvering mirrors.
- Organic chemistry: Tin chloride is used in the Stephen reduction reaction, in which a nitrile is converted to an imine and subsequently hydrolysed to aldehyde.
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly customer service. If you need help, a member of staff will be glad to help you before, during and after your purchase. Simply contact us for free technical advice.
|862||3||1.829||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||23/02/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||22/02/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.