- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
- We supply tetrahydrofuran in 2.5L and 25L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with over 99% purity levels and less than 0.05% water
- We also offer many other options, including customised labelling and specific pack sizes
- Contact us for further information or free technical advice
How is tetrahydrofuran produced?
There are several methods for the synthesis of tetrahydrofuran, including:
- Catalytic hydrogenation of furan in the presence of a nickel catalyst
- Decarbonylation of furfural in the presence of a zinc-chromium-molybdenum catalyst to form furan, which is subsequently hydrogenated to tetrahydrofuran
- Dehydration of 1,4-butanediol in the presence of an acidic catalyst: Reaction between acetylene and formaldehyde to generate 2-butyne-1,4-diol, which is subsequently hydrogenated to 1,4-butanediol. This saturated diol can be re-arranged into a ring to form tetrahydrofuran by acid catalysis at high temperature. This reaction can be done with a variety of catalysts, including rare-earth oxides, aluminium silicates and inorganic acids. This is known as the Reppe process.
- Another method involves oxidation of butadiene at high pressure (3MPa) and temperature (80 degree Celsius) in the presence of a palladium-tellurium catalyst to produce 1,4-diacetoxy-2-butene. This compound is then hydrogenated to 1,4-diacetoxybutane, and finally hydrolysed to tetrahydrofuran.
- The final method relies on a two-step process starting with n-butane. The first step involves oxidation to produce maleic anhydride and subsequent hydrogenation over a rhenium-doped palladium catalyst to synthesise tetrahydrofuran.
100% quality guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. We offer a wide range of products, from petrochemicals to pharmaceuticals, as well as specialised products and specific test kits. If you need help with your order, a member of staff will be glad to help. We also offer free technical advice.
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3799||Tetrahydrofuran (THF)||publish||2519||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 2519 - SDS21135.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.