Sodium Sulphite (Na2SO3)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for sodium sulphite?
- We supply sodium sulphite LRG in 500g containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a 96% minimum purity and impurity levels not exceeding 0.015% thiosulphate, 0.002% iron and 0.002% heavy metals
- MSDS available to download from our website
About sodium sulphite
With the chemical formula Na2SO3, sodium sulphite – sometimes spelled sodium sulfite – is a salt derived from sulphurous acid. It forms white odourless crystals with a saline sulphurous taste, which dissolve slowly in water. It can be used in many applications, from colour preservative in fruits and meat to photography and water treatment in swimming pools. At room temperature it’s fairly stable, but it can decompose at high temperatures (above 600 degree Celsius), releasing toxic fumes including sodium and sulphur oxide.
Hazard identification: how safe is sodium sulphide?
- Fire hazard: not combustible, but releases toxic and irritating gases in a fire
- Health hazard: It can cause cough and sore throat if inhaled, and it can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities. As sulphites are rapidly oxidised to sulphates – which are less harmful – this compound can be tolerated in small amounts, but high doses can cause violent colic and diarrhoea due to accumulation of sulphurous acid. It can be fatal if not treated promptly. Also, repeated or prolonged contact with skin may cause irritation and sensitisation.
- Chemical hazard: It releases toxic fumes on decomposing
- Storage: Should be stored in a well-ventilated area, away from strong oxidants and acids
100% quality guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24hours after purchase. If needed, a member of staff will be glad to assist before, during and after your order to ensure our products meets your needs. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|817||3||1551S||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||23/06/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||22/06/2018|
|820||6||1551S||Heavy Metals (Pb)||0||10||0||<10||mg/kg||23/06/2018||Steve Toye||31/05/2017||0||22/06/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|