- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for sodium phenate?
- We supply sodium phenate in 25L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- MSDS can be downloaded from our website
- We also offer further options with all our products, from customised packaging to bespoke blending
Chemical and physical properties of sodium phenate
Sodium phenate, also known as sodium phenoxide, is the conjugated base of phenol with alkaline properties. This inorganic compound with the formula NaOC6H5, forms a white to reddish powder used in many industrial processes, including manufacture of ethers and other compounds. This highly hygroscopic compound is very soluble in water, alcohol and acetone. When heated to high temperatures, it release toxic fumes including carbon dioxide and sodium oxide.
How is sodium phenate synthesised?
Sodium phenate solutions are produced by mixing sodium hydroxide and phenol, while anhydrous forms of this compound are synthesised directly with phenol and sodium.
Na HOC6H5 → NaOC6H5 1/2 H2
Like other alkoxides, sodium phenate has a highly complex structure with several Na-O bonds: each sodium centre is bound to three molecules of oxygen as well as the phenol ring.
How safe is sodium phenate?
- Fire hazard: not combustible
- Risk of exposure: highly irritant to eyes and skin, and may cause a burning sensation if inhaled. Symptoms of ingestion include abdominal pain and vomiting as well as headache, dizziness and difficulties breathing. Exposure can be identified by a phenol odour in the breath. High doses can be fatal.
- Safety procedures: Staff must always wear appropriate protective clothing, including gloves. Gloves must also be removed using an adequate technique to avoid touching the outside of the glove with bare hands.
- Storage conditions: This compound should be stored in a tightly closed container in a dry and well-ventilated area, away from ignition sources or incompatible chemicals
Over 30 years’ experience
ReAgent has been established in the market for over 30 years’ and during that period we’ve built an enviable reputation for high quality products and excellent customer service. If you need assistance a member of staff will be glad to help with your order or offer free technical advice.
|1.529||1||1653S||Twaddell||41||41||0||41.3 - 41.7||20/10/2018||Charlie||17/05/2005||0||19/10/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1653||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1653||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|1653||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1653||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1653||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1653||P310||Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|1653||P301+P330+P331||IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||CAUSTIC ALKALI LIQUID, N.O.S. (SODIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM PHENATE)|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|