Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate 0.004M?
- We supply sodium dodecyl sulphate 0.004M in 1L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- MSDS is available to download from our website
- We also offer further options with all our products, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes
About sodium dodecyl sulphate
Sometimes shortened to SDS or NaDS, sodium dodecyl sulphate is an organic compound with the molecular formula CH3(CH2)11OSO3Na. It can also be called sodium laurilsulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). As the salt of an organosulphate, it has amphiphilic properties ideal to be used in many cleaning and personal hygiene products.
How is sodium dodecyl sulphate used?
Undoubtedly the most important application for this compound is in cleaning products and detergents. After all, this compound is a very effective surfactant and is able to remove oily stains. For example, it’s found in many different products, from industrial degreasers and car wash soaps to toothpaste and shaving cream.
However, there are other applications for this compound, including:
- Lab uses: It’s used during DNA extraction and SDS-PAGE to detect proteins. It works by disrupting non-covalent bonds present in proteins, which inevitably leads to a change in their conformation. Once bond to SDS, proteins assume a more rod-like shape and can be separated in a gel based on their size and in a way not affected by their shape.
- Analysis of hemoglobin: Again, SDS causes a change in shape, followed by a reaction with the iron subunit. This produces a stable compound which can be analysed and quantified.
- Biocide: It’s effective against various viruses, including HIV and Herpes
- Shark repellent: There is some evidence to suggest that surfactants – such as SDS – can keep sharks at bay in concentrations around 1000 ppm
- Food additive: It’s used in different types of food as an emulsifying agent
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. If you need help, a member of staff will be glad to help you before, during and after your order to ensure our product meets your needs. Contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|1.189||1||1.222||Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate||0||0||0||0.00399 - 0.00401||M||23/02/2018||Darren||20/10/2004||0||22/02/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.