Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Buy Sodium Carbonate Online
ReAgent has been a leading UK chemical supplier for over 40 years. With accreditation to a number of ISO Standards, as well as a 100% quality guarantee on every product, we have the knowledge and experience to handle all of your business needs.
We have sodium carbonate LRG for sale in our online chemical shop, where you can buy it in 1kg, 5kg and 25kg containers. This product is sold with 99% minimum purity levels and impurities not exceeding 0.02% sulphate and 0.005% iron.
Order sodium carbonate online today where you can also get nationwide next-day delivery and discounts on bulk orders. We also have extra, industry-leading services available on all products, including personalised labelling, customisable packaging and the choice of specific pack sizes. Simply contact us for further information.
About Sodium Carbonate
Popularly known as soda ash, sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) is the salt derived from carbonic acid. This compound has many other names, including washing soda and soda crystals.
Sodium carbonate forms a white powder and is highly hygroscopic. It has an alkaline taste and strong alkaline properties.
Historically, it was obtained from the ashes of certain plants, including kelp and seaweed. This is why it became known as soda ash. Today, it can be synthesised in large quantities from limestone and salt using the Solvay process.
What is Soda Ash Used For?
This compound is very popular in both industrial and household applications, including:
- Glass manufacture: it lowers the melting point of silica and can be added to a mixture to make the glass insoluble in water. This type of glass is called soda lime glass and it has been one of the most common forms of glass for centuries
- Photography: this compound is also used as a pH regulator, maintaining the necessary alkaline conditions required during the development of photographic film
- Swimming pools: sodium carbonate is added to swimming pools to increase pH and reduce the risk of corrosion caused by chlorine
- Taxidermy: a sodium carbonate solution is used to remove flesh from bones, mostly for biological or educational purposes
- Electrolyte: sodium carbonate is a very good conductor in the process of electrolysis. Carbonate ions are also not corrosive to anodes compared to chloride ions, for example
Can it be Used at Home?
Soda ash also finds many different applications around the house. It is a:
- Water softener when washing clothes
- Stain Remover
- Cleaning agent for silver when mixed with salt
- Descaling agent in boilers
- pH buffer in aquariums
Buy from Accredited Manufacturers
At ReAgent, we strive to offer all our customers a friendly service. Our products, including sodium carbonate, are backed by a 100% quality guarantee so that you can relax and buy with confidence.
Place your order online today, or contact our technical sales team for more information. We’ll be happy to help you before, during and even after your purchase.
|735||2||1726S||Assay (After Drying)||99||100||0||99||% Minimum||19/08/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||17/08/2018|
|736||3||1726S||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||19/08/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||17/08/2018|
|739||6||1726S||Loss After Drying||0||0||0||<0.50||%||19/08/2018||Steve Toye||03/10/2017||0||17/08/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1726||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1726||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1726||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|