Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) LRG?
- We supply sodium carbonate LRG in 1 Kg, 5 Kg and 25 Kg containers, with discounts available for bulk purchases
- This product is sold with 99% minimum purity levels and impurities not exceeding 0.02% sulphate and 0.005% iron.
- MSDS also available to download from our website
About sodium carbonate
Also called washing soda, or soda crystals, sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) is the salt derived from carbonic acid. It forms white powder or crystals that are highly hygroscopic and have strong alkaline properties.
Historically, it was obtained from the ashes of certain plants, including kelp and seaweed, and became known as soda ash. Today, it can be synthesised in large quantities from limestone and salt using the Solvay process.
What is sodium carbonate used for?
This compound is very popular in both industrial and household applications, including:
- Glass manufacture: Possibly the most important use for sodium carbonate. In this case, it lowers the melting point of silica facilitating its use. It’s also added to the mixture to make the glass insoluble in water. This type of glass – called soda lime glass (as both calcium and sodium carbonate are used) has been one of the most common forms of glass used for centuries.
- Photography: This compound is also used as a pH regulator, maintaining the necessary alkaline conditions required during the development of photographic film
- Swimming pools: In a similar way, sodium carbonate is added to swimming pools to increase pH and reduce the risk of corrosion caused by chlorine
- Taxidermy: A sodium carbonate solution is used to remove flesh from bones, mostly for biological or educational purposes
- Electrolyte: Sodium carbonate is a very good conductor in the process of electrolysis. Also, carbonate ions are not corrosive to anodes compared to, for example, chloride ions.
Can it be used at home?
Sodium carbonate also finds many different applications around the house:
- water softener when washing clothes
- stain remover
- cleaning agent for silver (mixed with salt)
- descaling agents in boilers
- pH buffer in aquariums
30 years’ experience
ReAgent is a chemical manufacturer based in the UK with over 30 years experience in the field. We supply a wide range of industries, from pharmaceuticals to power generation. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase.
|735||2||1.726||Assay (After Drying)||99||100||0||99||% Minimum||24/05/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||23/05/2018|
|736||3||1.726||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||24/05/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||23/05/2018|
|739||6||1.726||Loss After Drying||0||0||0||<0.50||%||24/05/2018||Steve Toye||03/10/2017||0||23/05/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.