Propylene Glycol (General Use)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for Propylene Glycol for General Use?
- We supply propylene glycol in 2.5L and 25L containers, as well as 200L drums
- Discounts available for bulk orders
- We also offer propylene glycol for laboratory use
- In addition, we offer further options such as personalised packaging and bespoke blending
Chemical and physical properties of propylene glycol
- Name: Propylene glycol
- Alternative names: 1,2-propanediol, propane-1,2-diol
- Molecular formula: C3H8O2
- Molecular weight: 76,1 g/mol
- Physical appearance: Colourless and odourless liquid, highly viscous and hygroscopic
- Boiling point: 187.6 degree Celsius
- Freezing point: -60 degree Celsius
- Flash point: 104 degree Celsius
- Solubility: Miscible with acetone and chloroform; soluble in ether. This compound can also dissolve many essential oils, but is immiscible with fixed oils.
- Stability: It can be stored safely at cool temperatures by itself or mixed with water, glycerol or ethanol. However, in high temperatures it can oxidise, resulting in several by-products including lactic acid, acetic acid, pyruvic acid and propionaldehyde.
- Auto-ignition: 371 degree Celsius
- Decomposition: When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Safety and hazards: how dangerous is propylene glycol?
- Fire hazard: Combustible and at around 100 degree Celsius, explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed
- Chemical hazard: Reacts with strong oxidisers
- Skin and eye exposure: May cause redness and skin irritation due to dehydration. If first aid is needed after exposure, rinse with plenty of water for several minutes and remove contact lenses if possible.
- Inhalation risk: Can be irritant to the respiratory tract, but under normal circumstances a harmful contamination of the air will be difficult to achieve due to poor evaporation rates at 20°C
- Ingestion risk: Generally seen as non-toxic, but in case of ingestion rinse mouth and seek medical advice
- Storage: As propylene glycol is highly hygroscopic, this compound should be stored in a well-closed container, protected from light, in a cool, dry place.
Open an account with us
Are you a regular customer? Would you like to open an account with us? If so, simply contact us and a member of our sales team will be glad to guide you through the process. All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase.
|2.837||1||2.334||Assay||99||100||0||>99||% w/w||25/04/2018||Abbie Thornhill||05/01/2017||0||24/04/2018|
|2.841||4||2.334||S.G||1||1||0||1.035 - 1.040||25/04/2018||Graham||05/01/2017||0||23/02/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3625||Propylene Glycol (General Use)||publish||2334||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 2334 - SDS20540.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.