Propylene Glycol (Laboratory Use)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Need Propylene Glycol for Laboratory Use?
- We supply propylene glycol in 2.5L containers, as well as 200L drums and 1,000L IBC
- Discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- This product is sold with >995% w/w purity levels and low levels of impurities, not exceeding 70 ppm chloride and 0.2% water
- We also offer other options all our products, including customised labelling and specific pack sizes
How Safe is Propylene Glycol for the Environment?
- In water: This compound is known for its high biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) as it undergoes degradation in water. This means large amounts of dissolved oxygen (DO) are consumed as propylene glycol is degraded by bacteria. This high use of oxygen can have a strong impact on aquatic life, as water organisms become deprived of oxygen. It’s essential to ensure that enough dissolved oxygen is present in the water to guarantee survival of fish and other aquatic species. When oxygen concentrations start to drop, either organisms migrate to other locations looking for oxygen or eventually die. Whatever the option, the area will be severely affected in the long term with a significant decrease in water organisms, which will reduce the area of safe aquatic habitat. Even in the short term, propylene glycol can affect the environment. For example, a drop in dissolved oxygen can eliminate bottom-feeder populations (the first to be affected by low oxygen), resulting in changes in the community’s species profile and alter species interactions with food
- In air: If released to air, propylene glycol can only exist as vapour. This compound will be degraded by reaction with hydroxyl radicals and quickly disappears (estimated half-life of about 32 hours). Propylene glycol is not susceptible to photolysis by sunlight, so it does not generate any dangerous by-products
- In soil: In the soil, propylene glycol has very high mobility, but volatilisation into the air is not expected to be significant. Instead, biodegradation is the most likely fate in the soil
100% Quality Guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. We also offer a wide range of products, from petrochemicals to pharmaceuticals, as well as bespoke solutions to cover all your needs. Contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|2.837||1||2334S||Assay||99||100||0||>99||% w/w||20/07/2019||Abbie Thornhill||05/01/2017||0||19/07/2019|
|2.841||4||2334S||S.G||1||1||0||1.035 - 1.040||20/07/2019||Graham||05/01/2017||0||23/02/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3623||Propylene Glycol (Laboratory Use)||publish||2334||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 2334 - SDS20540.pdf|