Propan-2-ol / Isopropanol (Analytical Use)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Looking for isopropanol for analytical uses?
- We supply isopropanol for analytical use in 2.5L and 25L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- This product is sold with a minimum 99.5% purity levels and maximum levels of impurities not exceeding 0.1% water, 0.002% acetic acid, 0.002% non-volatile residue and 0.005% aldehydes and ketones
- In addition, we offer may options with all our products, including specific pack sizes and different grades available
How is isopropanol synthesised?
The most popular way to produce isopropanol involves a reaction between propene and water (indirect and direct hydration reaction) or via hydrogenation of acetone.
- Indirect hydration: In this case, propene reacts with sulphuric acid to form sulphate esters and their subsequent hydrolysis produces isopropanol. This solution is finally distilled to separate isopropanol from the other products of the reaction. This is a common method used in the USA and can use low-quality propene. By-product diisopropyl can be recycled back and hydrolysed again to generate isopropanol, therefore increasing the overall efficiency of the method.
- Direct hydration: In this case, the reaction is directly between propene and water, at high pressure and supported by acidic catalysts. This method requires high-quality propene (>90% purity) and is more commonly used in Europe. This method also requires distillation to isolate isopropanol from other reaction by-products.
- Hydrogenation of acetone: This process involves hydrogenation of acetone in the presence of a mixture of copper and chromium oxide to synthesise isopropanol. This method is often linked to excess acetone production via the cumene process.
100% quality guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. We also offer isopropanol for laboratory and general use as well as a variety of other chemicals used in a multitude of industries, from pharmaceuticals to petrochemicals. Contact us for more information or free technical advice.
|713||3||1.214||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||22/03/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||21/03/2018|
|715||5||1.214||Acidity (Acetic Acid)||0||0||0||<0.002||%||22/03/2018||Steve Toye||11/05/2017||0||21/03/2018|
|716||6||1.214||Non Volatile Residue||0||1||0||<1||mg/100ml||22/03/2018||Steve Toye||24/01/2017||0||21/03/2018|
|717||7||1.214||Colour (Pt/Co)||0||10||0||<10||Pt/Co||22/03/2018||Abbie Thornhill||23/06/2017||0||21/03/2018|
|718||8||1.214||Weight per ml at 20°C||0||0||0||0.784 - 0.786||g||22/03/2018||Barbara||01/07/2004||0||21/03/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3613||Propan-2-ol / Isopropanol (Analytical Use)||publish||1214||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1214 - SDS21052.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.