Potassium Iodide 10% w/v
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Why should you Buy Potassium Iodide 10% w/v from ReAgent?
- We supply potassium iodide 10% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- With all our products, we also offer further options, including bespoke blending and specific pack sizes
How is potassium iodide prepared?
There are several ways to prepare potassium iodide:
- This chemical can be prepared by a reaction between hydrogen iodide (HI) and potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3) or potassium chloride (KCl).
- It can also be manufactured via an aqueous solution of potassium hydroxide (KOH) and iodine (I), forming potassium iodide (KI) and potassium idodate (KIO3). In a second step, powdered charcoal is added to the solution, the moisture evaporated and the remaining material ignited. This way charcoal can reduce iodate to iodide, which means all of the iodine used initially can be converted to iodide.
- Another method involves the production of ferrosoferric iodide by reaction with iron and iodine in the presence of water. Then, potassium carbonate is added and the solution boiled, filtered and allowed to crystallise.
- It can also be the product of the reaction between potassium carbonate (K2CO3) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) ferrous/ferric iodide.
- Finally, potassium iodide can also be obtained simply by evaporation of natural brines
The presence and concentration of potassium iodide can be assessed by:
- Titrimetric determination in iodine solution
- Reaction with sodium bitartrate generates a white precipitate soluble in ammonium hydroxide
- Addition of chlorine changes the solution from yellow to red, while addition of chloroform colours the solution purple and addition of silver nitrate generates a yellow precipitate insoluble in nitric acid
- Titration with silver nitrate
100% quality guarantee
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours after purchase. If you need help, a member of our customer service team will be glad to assist you before, during and after your purchase. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1073||H315||Causes skin irritation.|
|1073||H319||Causes serious eye irritation.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1073||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1073||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1073||P264||Wash contaminated skin thoroughly after handling.|
|1073||P302+P352||IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of water.|
|1073||P321||Specific treatment (see medical advice on this label).|
|1073||P332+P313||If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/ attention.|
|1073||P337+P313||If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/ attention.|
|1073||P362+P364||Take off contaminated clothing and wash it before reuse.|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|4268||Potassium Iodide 10% w/v||publish||1073||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1073 - SDS10853.pdf|