Potassium Hydroxide 60% w/v
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Need Potassium Hydroxide 60% w/v?
- ReAgent supplies potassium hydroxide 60% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts for orders over 4 items
- MSDS and Sales Product Specification can be downloaded from our website
- We also offer further options with all our products, from custom packaging to bespoke blending
Reactions involving potassium hydroxide
- As a base: Potassium hydroxide is considered a strong bases, and it can form strong alkaline solutions in polar solvents including water. This property is often used in titration reactions using KOH to measure different acids.
- As a nucleophile: This means potassium hydroxide can operate as a source of OH ions, which in turn can attack polar bonds in both organic and inorganic compounds. In this case, the most well-known reaction is perhaps a saponification reaction in the manufacture of soap.
- Reaction with inorganic compounds: In addition to its reaction with acids, potassium hydroxide also reacts with oxides. For example, mixing KOH with SiO2 results in the production of potassium silicates; and mixing it with CO2 results in potassium bicarbonate.
How is potassium hydroxide synthesised?
Historically, potassium hydroxide was synthesised by mixing potash (potassium carbonate, K2CO3) and lime (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2), resulting in a calcium carbonate precipitate (CaCO3) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) in solution.
Ca(OH)2 K2CO3 → CaCO3 2 KOH
This was the method used until the 19th century when it was replaced a more efficient method still used today: electrolysis of potassium chloride solutions. In fact, this method is similar to the way sodium hydroxide is manufactured.
2 KCl 2 H2O → 2 KOH Cl2 H2
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly customer service. If you need help, a member of staff will be glad to help before, during and after your order to ensure our product meets your needs. We also offer free technical advice about all our products.
|1.494||1||0148S||Twaddell||84||85||0||84.5 - 85.0||° Tw||10/12/2018||Charlie||06/07/2005||0||07/12/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|0148||H302||Harmful if swallowed.|
|0148||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|0148||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|0148||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|0148||P301+P310||IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|0148||P303+P361+P353||IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/ shower.|
|0148||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|0148||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE, SOLUTION|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|