Potassium Hydroxide 60% w/v
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
Need Potassium Hydroxide 60% w/v?
- ReAgent supplies potassium hydroxide 60% w/v in 2.5L containers, with discounts for orders over 4 items
- MSDS and Sales Product Specification can be downloaded from our website
- We also offer further options with all our products, from custom packaging to bespoke blending
Reactions involving potassium hydroxide
- As a base: Potassium hydroxide is considered a strong bases, and it can form strong alkaline solutions in polar solvents including water. This property is often used in titration reactions using KOH to measure different acids.
- As a nucleophile: This means potassium hydroxide can operate as a source of OH ions, which in turn can attack polar bonds in both organic and inorganic compounds. In this case, the most well-known reaction is perhaps a saponification reaction in the manufacture of soap.
- Reaction with inorganic compounds: In addition to its reaction with acids, potassium hydroxide also reacts with oxides. For example, mixing KOH with SiO2 results in the production of potassium silicates; and mixing it with CO2 results in potassium bicarbonate.
How is potassium hydroxide synthesised?
Historically, potassium hydroxide was synthesised by mixing potash (potassium carbonate, K2CO3) and lime (calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2), resulting in a calcium carbonate precipitate (CaCO3) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) in solution.
Ca(OH)2 K2CO3 → CaCO3 2 KOH
This was the method used until the 19th century when it was replaced a more efficient method still used today: electrolysis of potassium chloride solutions. In fact, this method is similar to the way sodium hydroxide is manufactured.
2 KCl 2 H2O → 2 KOH Cl2 H2
At ReAgent, we’re very proud of our friendly customer service. If you need help, a member of staff will be glad to help before, during and after your order to ensure our product meets your needs. We also offer free technical advice about all our products.
|1.494||1||148||Twaddell||84||85||0||84.5 - 85.0||° Tw||22/03/2018||Charlie||06/07/2005||0||21/03/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.