Potassium Dichromate (K2Cr2O7)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Looking for Potassium Dichromate?
- We supply potassium dichromate in 500g containers as well as 25Kg bags, with discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- This product is sold with 99.5% minimum purity levels (further information can be found in the Sales Product Specification)
- We also offer many other options, including custom packaging and bespoke blending
About potassium dichromate
With the formula K2Cr2O7, potassium dichromate is a common oxidising agent used in many industrial applications. It forms a bright red crystal, which can be extremely dangerous and toxic if not handled safely.
This compound is typically prepared by mixing potassium chloride (KCl) and sodium dichromate (Na2Cr2O7), or it can be obtained from potassium chromate (CrK2O4) by burning chrome (Cr) in the presence of potassium hydroxide (KOH).
How is potassium dichromate used?
- Cleaning agent: Historically, potassium dichromate was a popular cleaning agent for cleaning glassware and etching materials, but concerns over its safety have reduced this type of use.
- Construction: Used in cement to slow down setting time and improve density and texture
- Photography: This compound is used as an oxidising agent in photographic screen printing
- Analytical reagent: Potassium dichromate is an ideal reagent in “wet chemistry” because it’s non-hygroscopic. For example, it can be used to determine the concentration of ethanol, which is converted to acetic acid in the presence of potassium dichromate. After this reaction, excess potassium dichromate is titrated against sodium thiosulphate. The difference indicates how much ethanol was present.
- Breathalyser tests: Alcohol present in the breath reacts with dichromate crystals, changing colour from orange to green. The degree of change indicates how much alcohol was present.
- Silver test: Potassium dichromate and nitric acid – known as Schwerter’s solution – is commonly used to test quality of silver. Pure silver will turn the solution bright red, whereas lower grades will turn the solution a darker red, brown or green.
- Sulphur dioxide test: Paper impregnated with potassium dichromate is used to test for the presence of sulphur dioxide, by turning from orange to green.
- Wood treatment: Used to stain certain types of wood, producing a deep dark red. Very effective treatment for mahogany.
Over 30 years’ experience
We’ve been established in the market as a chemical manufacturer for over 30 years, and in that period we’ve built an enviable reputation for high quality products and excellent customer care. Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1531||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|1531||H410||Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.|
|1531||H335||May cause respiratory irritation.|
|1531||H330||Fatal if inhaled.|
|1531||H400||Very toxic to aquatic life.|
|1531||H340||May cause genetic defects.|
|1531||H350||May cause cancer.|
|1531||H360FD||May damage fertility. May damage the unborn child.|
|1531||H317||May cause an allergic skin reaction.|
|1531||H272||May intensify fire; oxidiser.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1531||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|1531||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1531||P301+P310||IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|1531||P303+P361+P353||IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/ shower.|
|1531||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1531||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1531||P273||Avoid release to the environment.|
|1531||P308+P313||IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.|
|1531||P202||Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood.|
|1531||P210||Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.|
|ADR/RID Shipping Name||TOXIC SOLID, OXIDIZING, N.O.S. (POTASSIUM DICHROMATE)|
|ADR/RID Shipping Class||6.1|
|ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|