Oxalic Acid (H2C2O4)
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Need Oxalic Acid (H2C2O4)?
- We supply oxalic acid in 500g containers, with discounts available for bulk orders
- We also offer many other options with all our products, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes
- Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice
What is oxalic acid?
With the formula H2C2O4, oxalic acid is a colourless crystal typically found as dehydrate (H2C2O4.2H2O). This organic compound is classed as a dicarboxylic acid, and it’s stronger than acetic acid. In addition, oxalic acid operates as a reducing agent, and its conjugate oxalate (C2O42-) is a popular chelating agent for metal cations.
What is oxalic acid used for?
This acid is used in several industrial applications, from cleaning agent to bleach.
- Baking powder
- Rust removal (as an iron complexing agent)
- Important reagent in metallurgy
- Used by artists to polish marble sculptures
- Used to remove black stains caused by water infiltration
How safe is oxalic acid?
Oxalic acid can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, and it can be very corrosive to the nose and throat. It can also cause burns on contact with skin or eyes. It’s not currently considered mutagenic or carcinogenic, but there is some evidence that excessive exposure could cause malformations to the foetus.
Symptoms of exposure include:
- Burning sensation in the throat
- Coughing and wheezing
- Shortness of breath
- Inflammation of the larynx and bronchi
- Pulmonary oedema
- Kidney stones and joint pain (due to precipitation of solid calcium oxalate)
- The same symptoms are also visible after ingestion of ethylene glycol, due to the fact that this compound is converted to oxalic acid in the body
All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually dispatched within 24 hours after purchase. A member of staff will be glad to help before, during and after your order to ensure our products meet your expectations.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|