- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Buy Methylene Blue from Leading UK Suppliers
ReAgent has been a leading UK chemical manufacturer for over 40 years. With accreditation to a number of ISO Standards, as well as a 100% quality guarantee on every product, we have the knowledge and experience to handle all of your business needs.
You can buy methylene blue from our online chemical shop in 100g containers. Place your order online today where you can also get nationwide next-day delivery and discounts on bulk orders.
We also have extra, industry-leading services available on all products, including personalised labelling, customisable packaging and the choice of specific pack sizes. Simply contact us for further information.
About Methylene Blue
Methylene blue (C16H18SCl) is a heterocyclic, aromatic compound that is most commonly used as a medication and dye. As a solid, it forms an odourless green powder. When dissolved in water, it produces a deep blue solution.
Methylene blue should not be confused with methyl blue or methyl violet, which are common stain and pH indicators.
This compound is used in a variety of fields, most notably the pharmaceutical industry. Methylene blue can be used as a redox indicator and even as a treatment for malaria, but its applications do not stop there:
- As a redox indicator, it turns a solution from blue to colourless in the presence of a reducing compound
- It can also be used as a peroxide generator because it releases a single oxygen atom when exposed to light
- Known as an MBAS assay, it can be used in water testing to detect surfactants like phosphates, sulfonates, carboxylates or sulphates
- It is used as a dye in many biology-related areas, like to stain RNA and DNA or to differentiate between living and dead cells
- It is used to treat fungal infections in fish
- It is a common ingredient in anti-spasmodic drugs as well as ones prescribed as urinary analgesics
- It was used as a treatment for malaria but has since been replaced with alternative treatments as most patients disliked that fact that it turned their urine green
- It can be used in the treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning
- It is used in the treatment of the blood disorder, methemoglobinemia
- It is very useful in cases of extremely low blood pressure after heart surgery, such as a cardiac by-pass
- It is used in the treatment of potassium cyanide poisoning
- It is used as a dye in various situations, from detecting urinary leaks to endoscopies and removing polyps
- Recently, it has been used in a new drug to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s disease
Buy With Confidence
At ReAgent, we strive to offer all our customers a friendly service. Our products, including methylene blue, are backed by a 100% quality guarantee so that you can relax and buy with confidence.
Place your order for methylene blue online today, or contact our technical sales team for more information. We’ll be happy to help you before, during and even after your purchase.
|3.414||1||2441S||Dye Content||98||100||0||>98||%||16/11/2018||Abbie Thornhill||09/01/2017||0||15/11/2018|
|2.310||2||2441S||Loss on Drying||8||15||0||8 - 15||%||16/11/2018||Steve Toye||07/06/2017||0||15/11/2018|
|2.309||3||2441S||Appearance||0||0||0||Dark Green Powder||16/11/2018||Steve Toye||07/06/2017||0||15/11/2018|
|3.415||4||2441S||Suitable for microscopy||0||0||0||16/11/2018||Steve Toye||07/06/2017||0||15/11/2018|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|2441||H302||Harmful if swallowed.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|2441||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|2441||P301+P312||IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER/ doctor if you feel unwell.|
|2441||P261||Avoid breathing vapour/ spray.|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|