- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Buy Methyl Orange Online Today
ReAgent has been a leading UK chemical supplier for over 40 years. With accreditation to a number of ISO Standards, as well as a 100% quality guarantee on every product, we have the knowledge and experience to handle all of your business needs.
You can buy methyl orange from our online chemical shop in 2.5L containers. Order online today where you can also get nationwide next-day delivery and discounts on bulk orders.
We also have extra, industry-leading services available on all products, including personalised labelling, customisable packaging and the choice of specific pack sizes. Simply contact us for further information.
What is Methyl Orange?
Methyl orange is a popular pH indicator commonly used in titrations. With a clear colour change at the mid-point of the acidity scale, it’s a good option for acid titrations.
With a pH below 3.1, the solution is red. This gradually goes to orange and then a strong yellow when the pH rises above 4.4. The reverse occurs when the pH is becoming more acidic.
Chemical and Physical Properties
- Alternative Names: Gold-orange, acid orange and helianthin
- IUPAC Name: Sodium 4-[(4-dimethylamino)phenyldiazenyl]benzenesulfonate
- Molecular Formula: C14H14N3NaO3S
- Molecular Weight: 327.33 g/mol
- Appearance: Orange/yellow powder
- Melting Point: Over 300°C
- Boiling Point: Never reaches boiling point, but decomposes instead
- Solubility: Soluble in water and slightly soluble in pyrimidine, but insoluble in diethyl ether and alcohol
- pH: Red at pH 3.1 and yellow at pH 4.4
- Common Uses: pH indicator and dye in the textile industry
Methyl orange has been shown to be mutagenic in animals, so safety procedures must always be adopted in the lab when handling this chemical.
In contrast, there is no evidence that it has any negative environmental or aquatic impacts. Methyl orange is quickly decomposed anaerobically, limiting the risk of bioaccumulation.
Over 40 Years of Experience
Over the last 40 years, ReAgent has built an enviable reputation for high-quality products and first-class customer service. You can place your order online today, or contact our customer service team who will be glad to assist you before, during and even after your purchase to ensure our products meet your needs.
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|