Methanol (Laboratory Use)
- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
How do we Supply Methanol for Laboratory Use?
- We supply methanol for laboratory use in2.5L containers, with discounts available for bulk orders<
- This product is sold with a minimum 99.5% purity levels and less than 0.1% aldehydes and ketones; 0.005% non-volatile matter and 0.25% water (see further information in the Sales Product Specification, available to download from our website)
How is methanol synthesised?
There are several possible methods to produce methanol:
- From synthesis gas: In the presence of a catalyst, hydrogen and carbon monoxide can react to produce methanol. Common catalysts include copper, zinc oxide and alumina. The reaction is performed at high pressure (50-100atm) and high temperatures (250 degree Celsius).
- From methane: Conversion of methane to methanol is possible via an oxidation reaction in the presence of copper and other catalysts. However, this method has several limitations still to be solved, including lifetime of the catalysts and affordable reactants to react with methane.
- From carbon dioxide: Methanol can be synthesised directly from carbon dioxide in a solution containing cuprous and copper oxide (Cu2O and CuO, respectively) under the direct action of sunlight. This method is still under development, but with a potential efficiency of 95%, many researchers believe it will soon become the preferred industrial method.
How to control exposure to methanol?
As a toxic compound, it’s essential to have systems designed to control exposure to this compound:
- Provide appropriate ventilation, including extraction fume cupboard if needed
- Ensure workplace exposure limit (WEL) is not exceeded
- Wear suitable protective equipment, which may include respiratory equipment when vapours are produced in case of insufficient ventilation
- Gloves must be changed in regular intervals, before they start showing signs of degradation
- When cleaning spillages, staff must wear protective anti-static footwear
- Change clothes in case of contamination
Open an account with us
If you wish to open an account with us, simply contact us and a member of our sales team will be glad to help. Also, as we offer free technical advice about all our products, you can contact us to find out more about our products.
|475||3||1.209||Maximum Limits of Impurities||0||0||0||19/03/2018||Barbara||30/06/2004||0||16/03/2018|
|477||5||1.209||Non Volatile Matter||0||0||0||<0.005||%||19/03/2018||Steve Toye||04/08/2017||0||16/03/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3537||Methanol (Laboratory Use)||publish||1209||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1209 - SDS21039.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.