- Product Information
- B2B Note
- More Options
- Questions & Answers
What sizes do we supply Iodine Indicator?
- We supply iodine indicator in 100g containers
- Discounts available for bulk orders over 4 items
- We also offer iodine 0.05M and 0.005M solutions
- We offer many other options with all our products, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes
How can iodine be used as an indicator?
This element is extremely useful in analytical chemistry to identity the presence of alkenes and starch, as well as oxidising and reducing compounds. Colour changes in these reactions are ideal to spot their presence in many analytical methods.
For example, the presence and concentration of an oxidising agent can be determined by adding excess iodide. This oxidation causes the break of the triiodide bond, converting iodide (I3) to iodine (3I-) and giving the solution a dark brown colour. This solution is then titrated with thiosulphate to recover iodide again.
I3– 2 e- ⇌ 3 I-
S4O62– 2 e- ⇌ 2 S2O32–
I3– 2 S2O32– → S4O62– 3 I-
What can go wrong with iodine titrations?
There are some points to consider when conducting these reactions:
- In some cases, the product of the reaction can become reversible with a certain pH range, thus affecting the results. It’s essential that the pH of the sample solution is adjusted before the analysis.
- The volatility of iodine can become another source of error in the analysis. The best way to minimise this problem is to always ensure iodine is present in excess and the solution is kept at low temperature.
- Other factors that may alter the final result are strong light, or the presence of copper or nitrite ions, which catalyse the conversion of iodide to iodine. Both these substances need to be removed before analysis.
- For prolonged reactions, it’s recommended to add dry ice to the reaction to prevent oxidation by exposure to air.
Free technical advice
- Have a question about our products? Simply contact us for further information or free technical advice. A member of our customer service team will be glad to help you before, during and after your purchase.
- All our products come with 100% quality guarantee and are usually shipped within 24 hours
|653||1||1.335||(Add 0.2 - 0.5g per titration)||0||0||0||25/04/2018||Barbara||30/06/2004||0||24/04/2018|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|
|3517||Iodine Indicator||publish||1335||https://www.chemicals.co.uk/uploads/documents/44 - 1335 - SDS10717.pdf|
Please note: we only deliver to registered UK businesses at non-residential addresses with a minimum order value of £100 before VAT
We only supply to mainland UK, contact us on 0800 990 3258 for rates to Ireland.
Please notify us if you have specific delivery requirements such as restricted access, requirement for a tail-lift delivery vehicle or pallet truck. Failure to notify us of a special delivery instructions can incur additional charges from our carriers.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet, be the first to ask something for this product.