Ethanoic Acid 50% v/v
- Product Information
- Hazard Information
- Shipping Statements
Why Buy Ethanoic Acid 50% v/v Online from ReAgent Chemicals?
ReAgent supply ethanoic acid 50% v/v in 2.5L containers with bulk discounts for orders over 4 items. This product is sold with a variation between 49.5% and 50.5% – Please see Sales product Specification for further details. We also offer other options, from customised labelling to specific pack sizes. Contact us for further information or free technical advice.
Industrial Methods of Production
There are essentially two distinct methods to synthesise ethanoic acid: synthetically via industrial reactions or via bacterial fermentation. The vast majority is produced industrially by carbonylation of methanol, but there are various alternative methods available:
- Methanol Carbonylation: This method involves a reaction between methanol and carbon monoxide and is typically sub-divided in three steps with iodomethane as an intermediate product:
- Step 1 – CH3OH HI → CH3I H2O
- Step 2 – CH3I CO → CH3COI
- Step 3 – CH3COI H2O → CH3COOH HI
- Acetaldehyde Oxidation: An alternative method, albeit less popular, involves heating butane in the presence of several metal ions (including chromium, cobalt and manganese) to form peroxides, which eventually decompose to ethanoic acid. The reagents are heated as high as possible while keeping butane in liquid form, which means around 150°C at 55 atm. The process also generates other commercially valuable compounds, such as formic acid and ethyl acetate, and the reaction parameters can be altered to favour different products: 2C4H10 5O2 → 4CH3COOH 2H2O
- Ethylene Oxidation: Ethanoic acid can also be prepared from ethylene in a reaction catalysed by palladium. The method relies on UV light to stimulate the oxidation reaction, which can be conducted at room temperature and normal pressure. It can be competitive in small manufacturing plants but only if they can obtain ethylene at a low cost.
Friendly Customer Service Team
With over 40 years’ experience in the field, we pride ourselves in supplying all our customers with high-quality products and excellent customer support. If you need any assistance, contact us and a member of staff will be glad to help before, during and after your purchase.
|938||1||1002S||Acetic Acid||49||50||50||49.5 - 50.5||% v/v||24/04/2019||Darren||08/07/2004||0||17/04/2019|
|BulkCode||Hazard Statement Code||Description|
|1002||H314||Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.|
|BulkCode||Precautionary Statement Code||Description|
|1002||P260||Do not breathe vapour/ spray.|
|1002||P280||Wear protective gloves/ protective clothing/ eye protection/ face protection.|
|1002||P305+P351+P338||IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.|
|1002||P501||Dispose of contents/ container in accordance with local regulations.|
|1002||P310||Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor.|
|1.002||ADR/RID Shipping Name||ACETIC ACID SOLUTION|
|1.002||ADR/RID Shipping Class||8|
|1.002||ADR/RID Packing Group||II|
The following files are available to download:
|Product ID||Product||post_status||Bulk||Download SDS File|